Meeting Minutes

Minutes for the June 1999 Meeting


2013-03-30 06:54:07

JERICHO-UNDERHILL WATER DISTRICT
June 7, 1999
7:00 p.m.
Basement of the United Church of Underhill

TRUSTEES PRESENT       OPERATOR PRESENT       GUESTS PRESENT

Harold Sargent                     Marc Maheux                    Debbie Fowler

Peter Mitchell                   CLERK PRESENT

Kenneth Crimmins               Katharine Koniuto

Harold Sargent called the meeting to order at 7:06 p.m.

  1. Review & Approval of Previous Minutes. The proposed May 3, 1999 minutes were reviewed and unanimously approved with the following amendment:

5.f. Changed from He offered "to pay $1.00 for it"... to read "accept the land back"...

  1. Review & Approval of Financial Statements. The May 1999 financial statement was reviewed and unanimously approved.
  2. Operator's Report.
  3. Water use. 64,645 gpd.
  4. Charts & report. Marc presented the written reports and a graph comparing this year's water usage with that of previous year's.
  5. Other.

1. Marc reported that the District needs to order polyphosphate. The clerk was asked to research the prices we have paid to the two previous companies from whom we have ordered and report back to Harold.

2. Marc has changed the meter at Joan Stoddert's. He plans to do the one at the Gluck residence soon. Others need to be done. Howard Scott on Meadow Lane has requested an outside reader as his meter is located in his tenant's apartment.

3. Marc and Harold attended the state's conference on preparing the Consumer Confidence Report. He had samples of several that other Districts will be using. This report must be in the hands of the consumers by October 19, 1999.

4. Customer concerns.

  1. Tom Morse's service line.

Vermont Underground Locators, Inc. determined the approximate depth of the water service line at Tom Morse's business, Green Mountain Foam on May 27. We have a permit from the state to excavate so we can insulate up to the curb stop if necessary. Harold is to write Tom to recommend he insulate the remainder of the line which is owned by him. The Board agreed that the line depth information was inconclusive, but if reasonably accurate, it shows a service line with less than the required cover of 5'6".

  1. Kathy Cummings of 376 Vermont Route 15 called to report a taste in her water. Harold will follow up on this.
  2. Jim Jorschick of 145 Raceway Road called to report brown water. It was suggested that he flush his hot water tank.

5. Old Business.

a. Radios - Harold has applied for FCC permit. Harold is working on the application.

  1. Digital camera - Ken to investigate availability and cost. This item has been tabled.
  2. Emergency source at 379 Vermont Route 15. Recommend postponing discussion until after examination of that source by Board members. No action has been taken.
  3. Across the Fence showing. Harold has a video tape to loan. UVM also sent a copy of the tape so the Board now has two.
  4. Summer work:

1. Location of curb stops. Debbie Fowler was present to discuss this project with the Board. Marc shared the computer program for storing the data collected with Debbie. The discussion included how to take the measurements and pictures, what to record and how this information will be entered into the data base system as well as payment for the project. Marc and Debbie will meet at 9:00 a.m. on Friday, June 11 or soon thereafter, to further instruct Debbie in the project scope and details. The clerk will send a notice to each house with the next bill notifying customers that this project is occurring.

2. Seal well vent. Harold will do this after the river bank and access is accomplished.

3. Status of valve box for Fire Department service line. The fire department had the valve box in front of the fire house installed when the new fire house was built. It is accessible, but the District has never been given ownership of the box. Harold spoke with Lee Dumas of the fire department regarding this and Lee planned to bring the issue to a fire department meeting, No reply has been received to date.

4. Meter replacement. Meters are being replaced as they wear out. Some are 30 years old. The typical life of a meter is about 15 years.

5. Rip-rap for Browns River bank. Plans to rip-rap the banks of the Browns River near the Control Building continue to go forward. Permission from Steve and Wendy Guay to do the banks adjoining their property has been obtained. Jim Durbrow estimates the cost for the project to be approximately $5,000.

6. Poker Hill. Harold will contact the Town of Underhill to determine what permits are needed before work can begin.

e. Other.

1. John Fowler has agreed to paint the hydrants. He has been asked to indicate which hydrants need new chains and to place new numbers where needed. Harold will get stick-on numbers to John.

2. A discussion was held regarding the District's present computer system and the need to update the system in order to be able to incorporate the curb stop locations, etc. into the data base. A motion was made and unanimously carried to allow Peter Mitchell to determine our needs and spend up to $2,500. to upgrade our system.

6. New Business.

  1. Pager for the 3rd trustee - Peter. This is to be done.
  2. New chemical pump for sodium hypochlorite removed - it did not work. Marc is scheduled to meet with a representative from E.J. Prescott, Inc. regarding the pump in an attempt to determine what is wrong with it.

c, VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) collected sample May 3, 1999 - Harold. The report was good. Only Chloroform at .6 ppb was detected.

de Develop policy for extra meters in apartment buildings. A discussion was held regarding the installation of extra meters for apartments in homes. No action was taken at this time.

a. Nelson Davis house being constructed. (347 Vermont Route 15). Harold has

turned the water on for the construction company building the house. He also turned it off when the line was accidently broken during excavation and they were billed for the shut-off. It is back on now. The line will need to be tested for leaks. Marc will listen at the curb stop to determine if any leaks are present.

f. Other.

1. Peter is continuing to research our electric bills and determine why the bill for the Control Building indicates Demand Usage each month.

2. A discussion was held regarding becoming members of the Northeast Rural Water Association. This item was tabled until July.

7. Bills to review & approve for payment. The bills were reviewed and approved for payment.

B. Adjournment. The meeting was adjourned at 10:17 p.m.

Respectfully submitted

Katharine Kontiuo. , Clerk/Treasurer

 

 




 

Pay Bill Online

Visa.jpgMasterCard.jpgdiscover.jpgecheck.jpg


good hits
Websites Statistics Tool