Meeting Minutes

Minutes for the March 1998 Meeting


2013-04-07 08:41:56

 

JERICHO-UNDERHILL WATER DISTRICT
March 2, 1998
7:00 p.m.
Basement of the United Church of Underhill

TRUSTEES PRESENT       OPERATOR PRESENT        GUESTS PRESENT

Harold Sargent         Marc Maheux             None

Peter Mitchell         CLERK PRESENT

Kenneth Crimmins       Katharine Koniuto

President Harold Sargent called the meeting to order at 7:08 p.m.

  1. Review & Approval of Previous Minutes. The proposed February 2, 1998 minutes were reviewed and unanimously approved.
  2. Review & Approval of Financial Statements. The February 1998 financial statement was reviewed and unanimously accepted. The Board agreed with the clerk's suggestion to have the bond payment with the Rural Development Administration electronically withdrawn from our checking account from now on.
  3. Operator's Report.

a. Water use.-42,823 gallons per day. Marc shared a water use graph with the Board.

b. Marc’s Report.

1. Marc purchased a barrel pump for the PO4 tank to facilitate using the entire contents of the barrel.

2. The Board authorized Marc to purchase a second barrel pump for the liquid chlorine barrel.

3. The Board authorized the clerk to pay Marc each month for the PO4 testing at $12.00 per week.

e. Harold's Report - mutual aid, emergency power.

  1. Harold spoke with Michael Quaid of Griffin Water Co., operator of the water system in the Foothills regarding mutual aid in the event of an emergency. They have a capacity of 36 gpm or 17,000 gpd. Champlain Water System is not interested in participating. Jericho East Development water system has a capacity of 36 gpm and may have as much as double that capacity,
  2. Harold spoke with Mike Gilbert of Southworth-Milton in Richmond regarding the use of a generator for emergencies. It will cost about $400.00 per day. They will deliver the unit for an extra fee or we can pick it up. Ken suggested trying one for a test run sometime in the next 6 months so the District would be prepared in the event of an emergency. Harold will contact the company again to try to arrange for a test run. He will also contact the office of Civil Defense for further suggestions

d. Other.

None.

4. Customer concerns.

A customer contacted Marc on March 2, 1998 about 9:00 a.m. to report low flow

 at 388 Vermont Route 15. The pressure later restored itself.

5. Old Business.

a. House with pump on service line. Harold visited the Cressman home on Meadow Lane on February 28, 1998. Agway had installed the pump for them. Harold found the pressure to be 32.5 psi 43" above the basement level. The kitchen sink is 3 feet higher for a pressure of 29 psi which is below the standard of 35 psi at the kitchen sink, putting them in the same category as G. Lavigne and D. Erikson. Harold recommends that we have Bobby LaTuch & Son or Spafford Well Drilling install atmospheric tanks at all three sites. The house at 44 Maple Ridge also needs to be checked.

b. Fire department reader is under snow. The fire department claims there is a reader on the north end of the building, but it is buried in the snow.

c. Gate sign progress regarding mounting. Harold has installed the sign.

d. Library meter head, reader, and electrical by-pass of meter. We are still waiting for this to be done, but we have been assured that it will be done by the contractor. Meg Armstrong is following up on this as part of a "punch list".

e. Shall the Board still send the Annual Meeting summary? Since the Annual Meeting summary was printed in the Town reports of both Underhill and Jericho, the Board decided that it was not necessary to send a separate copy to each customer.

f. Other.

i. The dehumidifier is still to be hooked up.

ii. The Board members are to review their copies of the amended regulations before additional copies are made.

6. New Business.

  1. Should notices go to potential freeze-up customers? The Board felt there was no need to do this.
  2. System flushed - next date is May 6, 1998 t 2:30 p.m. The system was flushed on February 18, 1998 due to a colored water complaint from a customer on Park Street. The next regularly scheduled flush date is May 6 with May 7 as a back-up date.
  3. Summer Jobs List.

a. The Board will need to have a separate meeting to discuss the Poker Hill extension project. A brief discussion of financing for the project was discussed. Harold will need to check with the town regarding procedures for crossing the road, etc. The Board decided to hold this meeting on February 23, 1998 at 7:00 p.m. in the United Church.

b. The tanks for the 3 or 4 residents with marginal pressure need to be done. (See 5.a.)

c. On Harvest Run landscaping by the hydrant is needed and the valve box needs to be lowered as it is a hidden danger to snowmobiles, etc.

d. The window in the old storage shed needs to be glazed to keep out birds, etc. It was suggested that we contact Dick Eldred to do this.

e. The berm at Pump House No. 1 will be breeched.

f. The valve at the corner of Raceway Road and Brookside Drive doesn't seem to be working. Research needs to be done and the valve repaired.

g. The control building needs to be stained and the trim painted. Hiring a college student to do the job was suggested.

h. The river bank near the control building needs to be stabilized.

i.Some old meters need to be replaced. it was discussed whether we should install backflow devices at the same time.

8.The Sacco project should reach completion.

9.Testing of an electric generator in our system to prepare for an emergency was felt to be important.

10.. Meter reader resignation. Our present meter reader has informed us that he is moving and will resign following the reading of meters in April.  

a. Meter reader replacement. A reader should be hired to go with the present reader in April. Peter had a couple suggestions. An ad will be put in THE MOUNTAIN VILLAGER and on the cable announcing the position. Interviews of potential candidates will be held prior to the Board's meeting on March 23rd.

11. Our 911 address is 52 River Road, Underhill, Vermont. Contact with the Town Clerk's office identified this as our official address.

Other.

1. A letter was written to the Listenik's regarding the charge for the apartment space in their home in light of the changes in the district regulations.

12. Bills to review & approve for payment. The bills were reviewed and approved for payment.

13. Adjournment. The meeting was adjourned at 9:48 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

 

Katharine A. Koniuto

Clerk/Treasurer

 

 

Pay Bill Online

Visa.jpgMasterCard.jpgdiscover.jpgecheck.jpg


good hits
Websites Statistics Tool