Meeting Minutes

Minutes for the August 1998 Meeting


2013-04-07 09:41:46

 

JERICHO-UNDERHILL WATER DISTRICT
August 10, 1998
7:00 p.m.
Basement of the United Church of Underhill

TRUSTEES PRESENT         OPERATOR PRESENT          GUESTS PRESENT

Harold Sargent           None                      None

Peter Mitchell           CLERK PRESENT

Kenneth Crimmins         Katharine Koniuto

President Harold Sargent called the meeting to order at 7:06 p.m.

  1. 1.   Review & Approval of Previous Minutes. The proposed July 6, 1998 minutes were reviewed and unanimously approved.
  2. 2.    Review & Approval of Financial Statements. The July 1998 financial statement was reviewed and unanimously accepted.
  3. Operator's Report.

a. Water use. 53,174 gpd.

b. Operators' Reports.

  1. The PO, pump is to be installed on Friday, August 14 by the E.J. Prescott Co.
  2. A tenant in the apartment complex across from Jacobs' store reported an apparent leak at the curb stop. Mark investigated, confirmed the leak, and minimized it.
  3. The Board decided to replace any old, broken meters (not Neptune) with the new style, gun read meters.

c. Other.

On Saturday, July 25th a plumber was installing a water softener at the Tortolano residence on Route 15 when a pipe broke causing water to come into the cellar. Calls were placed to the water district and the fire department. Jane Maheux brought tools for the fire department, to use to shut off the water. Although it was difficult to find, Mike Greenia of the fire department located the shut-off. Peter Mitchell and Mark Maheux went to the Tortolano home. The leak was repaired and the fire department pumped the cellar.

Harold will ask Mark for an updated list of shut-off locations for each board member. Also the board felt an emergency kit containing a metal detector, a line-detector, and a tracer is needed. Pager numbers for Marc, Harold and Ken Crimmins will be given to the fire department to speed up response time in the event of future emergencies.

4. Customer concerns.

a. Call from Mrs. Brunelle on 7/31/98 - HA?

Mrs. Brunelle has detected a sulphur odor when there's a lot of rain as there has been this summer. Turning up the chlorine should reduce the odor. The customer will use a charcoal activated filter pitcher to also help reduce the odor.

5. Old Business.

a. Berm construction and ditching at Pump House No. 1.

This project has been completed by Pat Lamphere. The next time that the ditching is done the size of the mouth of the ditch needs to be decreased to prevent a water eddy at the mouth which creates sand piles in the ditch.

b. Repair of water main leak near 21 Brookside Drive.

The repairs went well. Jim Durbrow was good to work with. The area has been seeded, mulched, etc.

c. Pesticide and VOC water test results. The water report on pesticides has been received and is negative for those pesticides tested. The VOC results were within acceptable standards.

d. Villeneuve stone walk.

Dave Keszey has been contacted to repair Mr. Villeneuve's stone walk.

e. Other.

Three of the flood victims contacted a board member or the clerk to express their appreciation for the credit for emergency water use allotted to them at the July meeting.

6. New Business.

a. Fire department request for valve wrenches.

The fire department has requested valve wrenches to use in an emergency. The fire department has 30-35 members and can respond quickly if they have the proper training' in the use of the wrenches and the location of the valves. The board voted to provide the fire department with a curb stop wrench, a main valve wrench, and a large screw driver. Harold will write a letter of instruction regarding training in the appropriate use of the wrenches.

b. All five bacti reports negative in July.

Because of the positive bacti report in June, we were required to take five bacti samples in July. All five were negative.

c. Other.

  1. A discussion was held regarding hiring a civil engineering student to locate the ties, record them, and then enter them into a computer program to update our records. The board favored the concept and discussed a possible payment of S8./hr. The clerk was asked to remind the board to send letters regarding this about February 1, 1999.
  2. The board discussed whether the year 2000 is a problem for our equipment (alarm system, etc.). Ken will check with Mark on this.
  3. The plastic pipe at Joe O'Brien's on Maple Ridge has been exposed by town excavation. The board discussed having Jim Durbrow repair this. It authorized Harold to contact Jim to do the job.
  4. Harold spoke to Barry Cahoun who suggested that we wait a year to rip rap the river. The state is looking at a new system of bank erosion control and he will try to persuade the state to take on Browns River as a project.

Executive Session

The Board moved into Executive session at 9:10 p.m. to discuss contractual matters. The Board exited Executive Session at 9:15 p.m. No action was taken.

7. Bills to review & approve for payment. The bills were reviewed and approved for payment.

8. Adjournment. The meeting was adjourned at 9:50 p.m.

 

Respectfully Submitted,

 

Katharine Konuito

 

Pay Bill Online

Visa.jpgMasterCard.jpgdiscover.jpgecheck.jpg


good hits
Websites Statistics Tool