Meeting Minutes

Minutes for the March 1997 Meeting


2013-04-26 10:14:56

 

JERICHO-UNDERHILL WATER DISTRICT
March 3, 1997
7:00 p.m.
Basement of the United Church of Underhill

TRUSTEES PRESENT       OPERATOR PRESENT        GUESTS PRESENT

Harold Sargent                        Marc Maheux                     Adrienne Berard

Peter Mitchell                     CLERK PRESENT

Michael Sacco                       Katharine Koniuto

President Harold Sargent called the meeting to order at 7:03 p.m.

1. Review & Approval of Previous Minutes. The February 3, 1997 minutes were reviewed and approved as presented,

2. Review & Approval of Financial Statements. The February 1997 financial statement was reviewed and approved as presented.

3. Operator's Report.

  1. Water use.- 45,000 gals. average daily use.
  2. Other.
  3. Marc suggested the possibility of a propane heater for the pumphouse in place of the current electrical heat. He suggested that we look into this for a possible cost savings.
  4. Harold reported that the fire department is interested in having a 6" connection to the new firehouse so that the tank trucks can be filled in the firehouse. Doing this might stir up the sediment in the water mains. They also are considering installing a sprinkler system which calls for a 6" service.

4. Customer concerns.

  1. Adrienne Berard was present at the meeting. She reported that her water tastes bad. Some days are worse than others. She says the taste is not due to the addition of chlorine to the water. Harold asked her to take a sample of the water the next time this occurs. She agreed to do so.
  2. We received a letter from Abby Retzloff complaining about the "dirty" water. The letter was written after the flushing but may have referred to the colored water we were experiencing before the flushing. Harold has attempted to reach her by phone, but has gotten no response. He sent her a letter to her in response to her complaint.

5. Old Business.

  1. a.  Maple Ridge (Sacco) agreement. Mr. Sacco presented the other two board members with a letter he and his wife had written. In it they said that they could not sign the easement at this time because they feel the water district has not completed the work it promised to do when a replacement main was constructed across the Sacco property. They outlined what they feel is necessary for the resolution of the situation. In addition, the letter contained Mr. Sacco's resignation from the Board, effective immediately, stating that they feel it would be a conflict of interest to remain on the board while this issue is being resolved. (Mr. Sacco left the meeting following the discussion of this item.)
  1. b.  Computer billing progress. The clerk reported that all customers' addresses have been entered into the billing system. She plans to do the April billing on this computer system.
  1. c.  Water connection to Bernasconi building lot (Julianne & James Nickerson) on Maple Ridge. The Nickersons moved into their home on or about February 5, 1997 and the atmospheric storage tank, vacuum gauge, dual check valve, water meter, pump and pressure tank are all in place and operating.
  2. d.  Bond debt information for both bonds. The clerk/treasurer presented statements from both bonds showing interest rates, account balances and how each payment has been divided as to which portion was principal and which portion was interest. Board members were given a copy for their records.
  3. e.  150' additional fire hose ordered. 6 lengths of 4" X 25' fire hose were purchased at a cost of $1152.00 This was ordered through Marc.
  4. f.  Dogs. No action taken as yet.
  5. g.  Other. None.

6. New Business.

a. Should we contact c4istamers with pumps for modification of service?

A discussion was held as to whether to install 120 gallon storage tanks at the Diane Erikson and Gary Lavigne residences to prevent stress to the upper distributing system. A motion was made and unanimously carried to authorize Harold Sargent to arrange to have this done at a cost not to exceed $700. per residence.

b. Projects for Summer 1997?

  1. 1.      Valve on Brookside Drive. The valve on Brookside Drive is not working properly. It may be necessary to shut off water to this area of the system in order to repair or replace it. This will be investigated further when the weather is warmer.
  2. 2.      Hydrant painting (1/3 the hydrants = 11). Harold will ask John Fowler to do this as he has in the past. Peter Mitchell suggested that we also paint the steel post hydrant guards at Hydrant #4 on Steam Mill Road at the same time. Mr. Fowler charge $12/hydrant last year.
  3. 3.      Flushing system (May?). Harold and Marc will do the flushing.
  4. 4.      Check tank sediment. Harold and Marc will check the tank sediment by opening the main drain valve in the vault.

c. Any need to run certain water pipes? It was felt that there was no need to run water at this time due the warm winter and unlikelihood of freeze-ups.

d. Other.

  1. An inspection of the tank was done on February 4, 1997. There is some corrosion where the dome meets the straight wall. There is no corrosion on the tank seams. The inside of the tank looks good. The tank looks good and painting it seems unnecessary at this time. Harold will inspect the tank inside again after the May flushing when the water level has been drawn down.
  2. A discussion was held concerning the IOC and VOC testing. Harold has received materials for the waiver for this testing. IOC testing does not qualify for a waiver yet as we don't have a good history of results. The VOC testing should also be done since it's been 4 1/2 years. A waiver request will be sent int to A.E.C. on Synthetic Organic Compounds (SOCs) which are a year from now.

7. Bills to review & approve for payment. The bills were reviewed and approved for payment.

8. Adjournment. The meeting was adjourned at 10:03 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Katharine Konuito

Clerk/Treasurer


 

 

Pay Bill Online

Visa.jpgMasterCard.jpgdiscover.jpgecheck.jpg


good hits
Websites Statistics Tool