Meeting Minutes

Minutes for the August 1992 Meeting

August 4, 1992 Special Meeting


2013-04-17 06:57:41

 

JERICHO - UNDERHILL WATER DISTRICT

UNDERHILL, VERMQNT 05489

Minutes of August 3, 1992                                      

The monthly meeting of the Jericho-Underhill Water District's trustees was held on August 3, 1992 in the basement of the United Church of Underhill. The meeting was called to order by Harold Sargent at 7:12 P.M. Persons in attendance were trustee Doug Keith, clerk Evelyn Sargent, Christiana Keith, Mark Kane of Wagner, Heindel and Noyes Inc. and Warren Palmer of Palmer Real Estate and Development.

The minutes of the July meeting were reviewed and passed with the following corrections. Under Customers Concerns Mr. Thompson's concern was for low pressure only. "Bad taste" and "brown water" should be deleted.

The Treasurer's reports of the District and the Project were reviewed and passed with addition of the word instrument following "Re-install Foxboro" at the end of the report explaining costs of Repair & Maintenance.

Mr. Mark Kane, an Environmental Computer Scientist with Wagner, Heindel and Noyes Inc. gave a presentation of his firm's proposal for the Environmental Protection Agency's Demonstration Project for the Jericho-Underhill Water District. He had .sample copies of the information that he feels we, the District should obtain from surrounding land owners and users that may have bearing upon our ground water source. This information will be used by the contractor (Wagner, Heindel & Noyes Inc.) to construct a computer model extending roughly from Browns Trace Rd. to Underhill Center to help in resource management. This Well Head Protection Area (WHPA) will provide us with valuable information on well types, water demand and potential con­taminants that could reach our wells.

Warren Palmer was in attendance to discuss his concerns regarding his proposed development situated between Route 15 and Raceway Road. He questioned the need for a hydrant within his cul-de-sac and inquired about line size and fees charged. He stated that the Jericho Planning Commission did not require a hydrant. It was suggested that Mr. Palmer and the Water District trustees request a meeting with the Fire Department at their regular meeting on Tuesday evening the 4th of August to hear their explanation of hydrant needs in his development. Mr. Palmer said he would try to contact Mr. Tillotson, the Fire Dept. Chief and set up a meeting. He will contact the trustees when he gets a meeting time & date.

The operator's (Marc Maheux) report was as follows:

(1) The padlocks have been installed and were assigned as follows: & Master - Tank - 3 locks/hatch lock White storage building Gate to Pump House #1 Electrical disconnect in front of Ken Mitchell Gate to Pump House #2 Main disconnect on Pump House #2 Gravel pack electrical disconnect. The two padlocks on the gates were rekeyed to a number and used on the tank access cover.

(2) Two meters were installed. One at Peter Hartwick's development and one (to replace the meter taken out of the Wheeler Barn) at Warren Palmer's speculation house on Raceway Rd. Water lines were inspected at both sites.

(3) The hydrants have been been exercised and greased.

(4) Marc met with Ruth Taylor of the Vermont Health Department for an inspection of the fluoride system, it is working well.

(5) Marc noted that water usage is creeping up suggesting a possible leak.

(6) Marc has screened the blow-off near the gravel pack well.

Under Customer concerns:

(1) Harold talked with Mr. Tortolano about his water taste complaints. Mr. Tortolano said their water was fine now (this was a week after the chlorine had boon shut-off). Doug Keith visited the Thompson's and performed a pressure test. Pressure was not low but he determined there was low flow volume.

(2) Dan Girard had talked with both Jane Maheux and Harold regarding colored water. He still claims he has iron deposits.

(3) Doug had tried and still has not been able to reach Dianna Brownell regarding her outstanding water bill. He will continue to try to reach her but we need to pursue other avenues, ie: present owners and their attorney. The clerk will pursue this route.

Under Old business:

(1) Under project status, the 6" blow-off screen was installed by Marc Maheux. Electrician Walt Douglas installed the lightning arrester for the second well. We have most of the record drawings, still need to check with Ron Poor of Webster-Martin Inc. Arrangements have been made for a final audit to occur August 13, 1992 at the home of the clerk. The project consisted of Contracts No. 1, 2 and 3.

(2) The Wellhead Protection Grant was discussed during Mark Kane's presentation. Christie Keith had expressed an interest in doing the field survey work for this and was in attendance to listen to Mr. Kane's presentation. She will meet with Harold and Doug on Wed. (Aug. 5th) at noon to discuss this job.

(3) The zoning variance hearing regarding the former Bushnell property which the District purchased was held on July 20, 1992. The hearing was recessed to August 10, 1992 at 7:30 P.M. so more zoning board members can hear the presentation.

(4) The bacteria report for July was negative (good) and the daily fluoride monitoring was good with the exception of July 6th through July 9th when it dropped to 0.4. Harold will call Rene Seals for copies of the comparative sample results from the State.

(5) Regarding mothballing Pump House #1, CVPS was contacted by the clerk who learned that it would cost $32.00 a month to maintain power at the building. This is an annual cost of $384. versus $1,200/$1,300 per year to keep the building heated. It was determined that the cost of mothballing the old pump house (#1) would be recouped in one year. Doug made a motion to proceed with this work. The motion was seconded and passed. Harold will contact Marc to get this started.

(6) The hydrant repair by the Mill was unsuccessful because the hydrant has a 1965 vintage barrel and a 1982 vintage top with new internal parts. Harold will talk with Marc to replace the old parts with the newer ones.

(7) There has been no reply from the Erickson Co. regarding the purchase of time delay controls.

(8) Peter Mitchell sent word he had talked with Irene Kelly (former owners of property on which the upper concrete reservoir rests in Paul Jones development on Maple Ridge). She said they had a pump in the upper reservoir for back-up use. Harold informed the Board there is no pump there now and electric power has been cut.

(9) Peter also reported he had talked with Eric Fiske two weeks ago regarding hydrant painting and had asked him to submit a proposal. Peter said he counted 34 hydrants of which 13 are badly in need of being painted. He suggested we consider doing half of them this year and the remainder the following year.

(10) Harold called the State salvage agency regarding file cabinets. One should be available in about 10 days. Harold will follow up on this.

(11) Harold suggested we purchase some folding chairs for Pump House #.2. Doug made the motion to spend up to $75.00 for the purchase of folding chairs for Pump House #2. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.

Under New business:

(a 1) Discussion of Maple Ridge repairs were postponed.

(a 2) Hydrant painting was discussed under Old business (9).

(b) On July 23, 1992 the State performed a Sanitary Survey following a visit by the EPA people who were here in conjunction with the Well Head Protection Program. Those in attendance were Ken Bannister and Mark Kane of Wagner, Heindel and Noyes Inc. and Doug Heath and Tara Tracy of EPA plus Rod Pengree of the State and Harold Sargent. Reports of the Sanitary Survey are forth coming, but of note were two items. The vulnerability of the shut-off switches for the two pumps  at the well site was brought to the District's attention. This concern had been raised by Peter and Doug in the past. The possibility of putting a building or fence to encompass the area was suggested by the State representative. Rust on the tank was spotted by Harold during the survey. It is pitting badly (outside) and will need to be sand blasted and painted next year.

The bills were reviewed and approved for payment.

A motion was_ made to recess the meeting to tomorrow night when the Board expects to meet with Warren Palmer and the Fire Department on the hydrant issue, was seconded and passed unanimously.

The meeting recessed at 11:23 P.M.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Evelyn Sargent, Clerk

 

 

Minutes of August 4, 1992

At 7:49 P.M. on August 4, 1992 the Jericho-Underhill Water District Board resumed its recessed meeting of August 3, 1992 and took the following action. Doug Keith made a motion that a hydrant be required in the vicinity of the cul-de-sac of the proposed Warren Palmer subdivision off Route 15 near the power sub-station. It was seconded by Harold Sargent and the vote was unanimously carried in favor of the motion.

Respectfully submitted,

Harold E. Sargent President

 

Pay Bill Online

Visa.jpgMasterCard.jpgdiscover.jpgecheck.jpg


good hits
Websites Statistics Tool