Meeting Minutes

Minutes for the January 1990 Meeting


2013-05-21 07:18:41

 

 

 

Jericho-Underhill Water District minutes of January 8, 1990

The first monthly meeting of the new decade opened on Monday January 8, 1990 at the United Church of Underhill. David Damkot called the meeting to order at 7:04 P.M. David asked Harold Sargent to take the minutes since the clerk was absent. Persons present:

David Damkot, President                     Cheryl Heater, Local citizen

Douglas Keith, Trustee                      Stan Wilbur, P.E. engineer

Harold Sargent, Trustee                     Jeffrey McDonald, engineer

Marc Maheux, Operator

The December 4, 1989 minutes were unanimously accepted.

The Cash Flow Statement (through Dec 31, 1989) and System's Improvement Project Report, financial reports by the Treasurer/Clerk, were unanimously accepted by the Board.

Operator's Report: Marc reported that the following hydrants need repair: one is on Raceway Rd. near where Willow Lane meets Raceway. This hydrant will not turn on or off (shaft just spins around) and may need new parts. The hydrant on Steam Mill Rd. near the Tanner property leaks when turned on. Marc suggested the hydrant base at the pump house No. 1 be used to replace the base for this one. The water main will have to be shut off during repair. The valve box for another hydrant on Steam Mill Rd. near where Greenmont Lumber, Inc. stores sawdust, needs to be dug up and re-positioned and back filled so the 6" gate valve to this hydrant can be operated. This deficiency has been discussed previously by the Board. Dave brought up the need to replace the 8" gate valve that serves Raceway Rd. near State Rte 15. The Red Hed Supply Co. will need to be called for this valve work and for the Raceway and Steam Mill Rd. (Tanner) hydrants. We have a new resilient gate valve in the storage shed near pump house No. 1 that will replace the 8" defective gate valve.

Harold will notify Fire Chief David Tillotson of the defective hydrant on Raceway. Marc stated further that we appear to be pumping between 100,000 and 105,000 gallons of water per day, up from our usual of between 80,000 and 90,000 gpd. It may be the result of people leaving their water running to prevent frozen pipes. We'll watch the use this spring.

Marc suggested that when curb stop locations are checked this Spring and Summer, that the curb stop valves be exercised. We should record any defects. Marc had to remove 2' of frozen soil to repair a curb stop box pipe so the water could be turned off and on for new owners of the former Blais house (old Drug Store), by the name of Benoit. This curb stop requires a pipe wrench to turn it. Marc reminded the Board to bill the Benoits for the $50.00 he charged us for turning water on and off as it was done at Benoit's request. It now terminates 8" below-grade to avoid being hit by a plow. Marc suggested, and the Board concurred, that he have the old valve pit filled behind Patricia Gray's house (former L. Dumas house) while the ground is frozen. He will switch her plumbing over to the new service line as soon as he has an opportunity. When both tasks are complete he will let us know so we can start billing her for water use.

Marc asked if the Board would outline anticipated up-coming work it wants him to schedule next Spring and Summer, including hydrant repair, valve replacement and re-developing the No. 1 well field (point). The Board will advise Marc on these repairs and maintenance items.

Old Business:

The curb stop location project needs to be started this Spring. Peg needs to finish composing the standard agreement letter/document to use when dealing with customers who need to have their service lines repaired or replaced.

Construction Progress Report: Jeff McDonald, engineer for Webster-Martin, Inc., reported on the well construction situation. He said the 2-hour step test that Hydro-Group performed on the new gravel packed well does not show great promise. The well will not yield the 250 GPM we all were expecting. He said 125 GPM is all they recommend pumping based on the two hour step test. He did not feel 125 GPM would cause excessive water level draw-down in the well. When asked about the 54' move of the location of the production (gravel packed) well, he, said it was to bring the well more toward the center of the well site to get the 200' isolation required by the Health Department. He added that since two test wells, one about 25' away and the other 54' away each side of the selected drill point, showed good "blow" test pump yields, that the belief was that the to/motion was fairly consistent throughout the whole site. It was noted by the board that the 6" pilot well "blew" only 70% of what the two test wells produced, i.e. only 70 GPM versus 100 GPM at the two test wells. He said the belief was that there was plenty of water and appropriate formation to develop a 250 GPM well. The engineer's recommendations are to:

Establish December 16, 1989 as an extended completion date for Hydro-Group. This would give them a week longer than requested.

Ask them to pay all increased costs incurred or to be incurred as a result of non-completion beyond Dec. 16, 1989 in lieu of assessing liquidated damages ($300/day). Decide if the Board wants the production well pump tested or not.

Call for a winter shut-down with promise by Hydro-Group they will return this spring to complete the job within a specified time frame.

The Board concurred with the above recommendations and decided not to have the production well pump tested at this time. Of the four options offered by Webster-Martin, the board felt Option B was the one preferred. Option B recommends developing the 1986 test well as the main production well which has been test pumped and shown it could provide 200 to 250 GPM. There is some uncertainty, however, as to the extra maintenance required to keep this gravel developed well operating since it most likely would not have the longer life provided by a gravel packed well.

Dave asked Stan Wilbur to ask Bill Armstrong, of Hydro-Group, to explain how we got to where we are, i.e. with a completed gravel packed well which cannot provide the District with our expected 250 GPM. Stan agreed to honor this request. Regarding Blow & Cote, Jeff will advise them we will honor their extension request and grant them 2 weeks to complete their work, once re-started in the Spring, working around the winter shut down.

It appears our state grant will amount to approximately $162,398.00.

After the engineers of Webster Martin left the meeting, the Board further discussed the situation. The Board is still puzzled as to why the well was moved 54 feet away from the proven test well (1986) to a location that yielded only 70% of the test well yield (both by blow test method). The Board consensus was that the District could end up with a gravel packed well it may not use due to its relatively low yield of only 100-125 GPM. The Board took note that its present well provides precisely that amount of water (125 GPM) and that developers and individual people are waiting for the moratorium to be lifted so that housing development and connections to existing homes can proceed.

The Board felt it needs some time to think over its options, talk with its attorney, and decide on a course of action that will be in the best interests of the District's citizens.

Dave will call Stan Wilbur on the morning of January 9, 1990, and urge him to work out a solution that:

  1. Is satisfactory to the Board.
  2. Does not cost the District anything extra, except time.
  3. And ask Hydro-Group to install a gravel pack well near the-1986 test well where the formation is known to exist which will provide us with the 250 GPM.

Dave inspected the insulation of the main tank vault done by Tom Woodard and was satisfied with the job.

Harold reminded the Board and Marc that the hydrant on Meadow Lane did not get flushed last summer. The Fire Department flushed 2/3 of the system, but did not flush the one at the north end near Doug Keith's and Meadow Lane.

The Board accepted Roger Koniuto's resignation with expressed appreciation for his many years of dedicated service.

Doug reported he spoke with Fire Chief David Tillotson on whether they have a building numbering system we could coordinate with for our curb stop system we'll soon be updating. Doug reported that the Chief said they did not have a number system. Doug said the subject of charging for the Fire Station water came up again, and that Chief Tillotson said only one of four firemen at our meeting remembered the arrangements for metering water and charging for same as the Water Board remembered it. Doug said he reminded the Chief of the water equity issue that we brought up at the meeting and reiterated the belief that the only fair way was to pay for it by metered use. That way, water we provide outside the District will be paid for by everyone in the two towns, not just by those who reside in the District. Doug feels there is a need to further explain our position and recommended we invite the Chief and any other interested officers to join us at one of our up-coming meetings.

Cheryl Heater expressed a concern of water waste whereby she has to run water (to waste) to prevent frozen pipe along with perhaps others. Dave mentioned the very high cost of excavating and lowering pipes so they won't freeze and that we simply don't have the cash to fix all of our system's problems. Cheryl understands all this and agreed it was a philosophical thing with her since such a large number of people in the world don't have even safe water to drink, to say nothing of running water at a tap. Doug reminded us all that the water that runs to waste, as is all water, is recycled.

Harold brought up Mr. John O'Brien's letter where he contends he is not using 277 gallons per day. The Board recommended that the clerk mail him a copy of our rules and high-light the section on meter checks and charges. The Board felt Mr. O'Brien may want to have his meter checked.

Harold raised the question of rental pay for the use of the room for the monthly meetings of the Board. The board has never been billed by the church. The Board instructed Harold to request the Clerk to bring this matter to the attention of the Executive Board by asking them what it should pay monthly for the room.

The Board would like the Clerk to mail both Town Clerk's a copy of the annual report for inclusion in the towns' annual reports.

The meeting was adjourned at 11:38 P.M.

 

Harold E. Sargent, Trustee


 

 

Pay Bill Online

Visa.jpgMasterCard.jpgdiscover.jpgecheck.jpg


good hits
Websites Statistics Tool